Thursday, January 13, 2011

7

The last few entries I've placed here have been a few days apart each...and a definite sign of where things are in my life right now. In taking on this project I am seeking a little more order, a daily process, an exploration aside from my obvious fascination with lights. Interestingly enough, this project has helped me realize a lot about what my life has been missing these last several months...and I'm grateful for it. The proverbial "...lightbulb, click!" sort of moment.

I have set an intention to begin this project anew in February, and until then am giving myself permission to be spotty in my work while I prepare for another big piece of work: Raqs Luminaire.

I can't wait to get a little more focus, and will look at this short break as an incubation period...seeds do have to lie quietly in wait until conditions are favorable for growth, yes?

I leave you with this poem I wrote a few years ago, which was published in The Line, the college literary magazine that I named and was briefly president of (until work overwhelmed me). A little flashback, if you will.

Pregnant in a Stiff Jacket

A voracious hunger consumes me:

An ocular aversion brings

A branch heavy with fruit into view.


Caught in a perpetual contraction

The protective grip

Shields

A pinkish bounty within.


A hiss;

Wet whisper.


The flow of sweet juices

Splash wobbly feet below

The gently marred globe.


Laborious unfolding

Draw back

Layer upon layer—

Such work!


Until the object of my adoration

Is revealed

With endless delight.


*2009

No comments:

Post a Comment