Thursday, January 6, 2011

3


Well here is the second post that I promised you today, though it is not what I hoped to be sharing. I was searching for a photographic print I made in high school. It's a double print exposure, created in my old black and white darkroom that used to be in the building that is now the Coliseum Lofts; it consists of a self-portrait where my face is washed out in a blast of light (experiments with high contrast that paid off well), with an exposure of Luna moth wings extending out from behind my head. I transformed myself into my own little light creature, dark as I was those days. I promise when I find it again I will post it right up.

The search for my shapeshifting print led me down a bittersweet path through some old photos I shot and developed, some which are close to 15 years old. I'm finding that this rediscovery is almost as sweet as new creation, and I realize how much I miss my darkroom and "real" photography . I'll stay with this reminiscing for a little while before I begin creating anew.

On that note, here is another double print exposure that is a bit of a window into my life a long time ago. This is sort of a terrible camera phone picture of a self portrait from when I was about 15. The ladder you see here actually descended into a creepy crazy dark pit on Belle Isle, and the juxtaposition of the ladder across my eyes indicated the inability to see no place but down.

You can see I've come a long way.

Until tomorrow,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment